||Walter R. Lambuth founded the Departments of Theology and General Studies of Kwansei Gakuin in Haradamura in the city of Kobe.
In a one-story school building with floor space for 30[A1] tatami mats, there was a book room called the Book Building that also served as a makeshift chapel and lecture room. The first director was J. C. C. Newton.
||The Department of Theology traveling library was founded.
The Traveling Library Book Catalogue (lending rules) was published.
|1908||A third floor was added to the Main Building, with half set aside for a library. The name was changed from Book Building to Library.|
|1912||Private Library of Kwansei Gakuin Rules were established.|
|1921||Library employee Yujiro Nakajima studied for two years at a school for library sciences in New York City at the public’s expense.|
|1922||Central Hall was built, and Branch Memorial Hall （currently the Kobe City Oji Civic Gallery） was used as a library, the first free-standing building for this purpose.|
|1929||To celebrate the campus’s move to Nishinomiya Uegahara, Fujiuemon Takenaka of the Takenaka Corporation donated a library with a clock tower.[A2]|
|1930||The name was changed from the Library of Kwansei Gakuin to Kwansei Gakuin Library.|
|1932||The Kwansei Gakuin University establishment was permitted by university ordinance.|
|1934||The Clock Tower library gazette was first published (the semiannual publication was stopped after the sixth edition).|
|1942||Lectures were held to commemorate the 50,000th volume in the collection (Bunsho Jugaku, Publishing in 18th Century England; Yasujiro Ohmichi, The National Character of the Economics of Smith; Ohkichi Kitano, Kwansei Gakuin and Owen Research). [A3]|
|1944||During this dark time, the emblem on the library clock tower commemorating English literature, along with the iron handrail at the main entrance, were removed during the war and supplied as metal to the government, and the entire building was repainted in camouflage colors.|
|1948||Became a university under the new university system.|
|1954||A Brief History of Kwansei Gakuin Library (from Founding to 1953) was published.|
|1955||The expansion of both wings of the clock tower and the first-floor library portion were completed.|
|1956||Professor Kiyoshi Sanekata of the Department of Literature became the seventh president of the university and the first elected in a popular-election system.|
|1960||The university held the 21st Japan Association of Private University Libraries General Meeting and Research Meeting.|
|1963||The addition of a new building to the rear of the Number 1 Library was completed.|
|1965||The Four Kansai Universities Library Mutual Cooperation Agreement on Use of Materials was signed.|
|1968||The Number 2 Library was completed.|
|1971||The library gazette Clock Tower returned with publication of the first edition.
The Number 3 Library was completed. The second-floor, open-stack rooms were opened to users. An old-books room was established on the third floor and a valuable-books room on the fourth floor.
|1973||New offices, a preservation library, and a free-reading room were established in the expanded section.
A clock face and hands were added to the west side of the clock tower so that people could tell the time from all four directions.
|1974||An audio-visual room was added to the first floor of the old building, and a magazine room was added to the second floor.
The Japan Association of Private University Libraries Hanshin Region Mutual Use Agreement went into effect.
|1975||General Library Rules were established.|
|1976||University Library Rules were established, and the position of the Kwansei Gakuin University Library was clarified.
The Hyogo Prefecture University Library Council Materials Mutual Use Agreement went into effect.
|1980||The number of volumes in the university collections reached about 500,000.|
|1981||The Four Kansai Universities Mutual Use Agreement was established to offset copy fees, expand mutual use by graduate students, etc.
A reading room for the visually impaired was established on the first floor of the old building.
|1985||Became the chair University of the Japan Association of Private University Libraries (two-year term).|
|1986||The First Report on University Library Construction was approved during a meeting of the University Board of Trustees.
The decision was made to use the BIBLION library package system and link with the academic information center as part of the administration’s total system development.
|1987||The Second Report on University Library Construction (final report) was approved by the University Board of Trustees and became a University Plan.|
|1988||The new university library construction position and scale were decided by the Board of Trustees.
The University Board of Trustees decided to establish a New University Library Management Issues Committee.
The Library Management System was activated.
|1989||The 100th anniversary of the founding of Kwansei Gakuin was celebrated.
The First Acquisition Plan (five-year plan) for the new university library went into effect.
The magazine management system and circulation system were activated.
Special Book Regulations were established.
A university library observation team was sent to North America
|1992||Joined the academic information center ILL system.
The First Academic Materials Council and Special Exhibition was held.
|1993||Construction began on the new university library.
The collections search system (OPAC) was activated.
|1994||The library shifted to a four-department system with the separation and independent establishment of the Magazine Section of the Reading Department in preparation for the opening of the new university library.
The Second Acquisition Plan (four-year plan) went into effect.
|1995||Large-scale damage was incurred during the Great Hanshin Earthquake, including the collapse of library stacks.
The first phase of the opening of the new university library was completed. A university library annex opened on the Kobe Sanda campus along with the establishment of the School of Policy Studies.
The decision to purchase a collection to commemorate the opening of the new university library was made.
The number of volumes in the university collection reached about 1 million.
|1997||The decision to establish a new university library art plan was made.
The grand opening of the new university library was celebrated.
The university library homepage was launched.
|1998||The university libraries opened to the general public.
The cities of Nishinomiya and Kobe signed mutual-use agreements with the public libraries
|1999||The library system migrated to BIBLION 21 (2000 policy, annex function was added, etc.).
The new university library received the Japan Library Association Architecture Award.
Library hours were extended to 10 p.m. because of adjustment to the educational and research conditions of the evening graduate school
|2000||The J. C. C. Newton Prize was created, and works from students and graduate students who had library cards began to be selected as candidates for the prize.|
|2001||The Kobe Sanda Campus Books Media Building opened.
The natural sciences books and materials in the Nishinomiya Uegahara Campus Library were moved to the Books Media Building, and the School of Science and Technology moved to Sanda.
|2002||Migration to the new library system (iLiswave) was completed.|
|2003||The administration was restructured from four departments to two.
Regional lectures were held on the National Institute of Informatics catalogue system.
An external exhibition titled Kwansei Gakuin University Library Collections Exhibition—Doors to the Future was held at Tokyo Maruzen.
Open on a special basis around the New Year.
Emergency drills were held at university libraries.
|2004||Began opening on Sundays.
A digital library was built on the homepage.
A micro-container server (100,000-reel capacity) was added.
A university libraries user survey was conducted.
The number of volumes in the university collections reached about 1.4 million.
|2005||The EUIJ-Kansai Library opened.
A corner for books and materials was established on the Great Hanshin Earthquake.
|2006||The University held the 67th Japan Association of Private University Libraries General Meeting and Research Meeting.
A faculty user survey was conducted.
|2007||The Kwansei Gakuin University Repository was activated.|
|2008||Off-site storage of books and materials began due to lack of space in the library stacks.
The Kobe Sanda Campus Books Media Building was transferred to the VI Building.
A university library users survey was conducted.
|2009||A corner for Books Recommended by Professors was established.
A corner for Books with Newspaper Book Reviews was established.
|2010||Reading seats were added to the Nishinomiya Uegahara Campus University Library.
A corner for Books on Preparing Reports and Theses was established.
|2011||The University Library Lectures for Basic Seminars were updated and opened to the entire university.|
|2012||The University Library Regulations were revised.
A university library users survey was conducted.
|2014||History of Kwansei Gakuin University Library: 1889 – 2012 was published.|